Nathan Coutts, Los Angeles, CA
- Excellent team and project management skills
- Extensive experience in fabrication with a wide variety of material
- Working knowledge of structural engineering as needed for proficiency in rigging
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office, ArtBase, SketchUp.
- Experience in conservation/restoration techniques for historical and contemporary artworks.
- 15 years experience in gallery participation of international and domestic art fairs
REGEN PROJECTS, Los Angeles, CA
Director of Operations 2015 – 2016
- Comprehensive operational responsibility for both Regen Projects sites located at 6750 Santa Monica Boulevard (Hollywood) and 633 North Almont (West Hollywood), to include facilities management, logistics, vendor management, project management, and staff oversight.
- Work in collaboration with Financial Comptroller on all aspects of finance and accounting, including timely and accurate budget forecasting, vendor payment approvals, and short/long term planning.
- Oversee all Human Resources responsibilities including staff management, performance-based reviews, development and retention of talent. This position is also the primary point of contact for the Gallery’s health insurance for both staff and insurance company.
- Work in collaboration with President, Gallery Directors, and Chief Preparator on the efficient project management of gallery exhibition schedule
- Assist President and Gallery Directors with artist and client relations
- Assist with art fair management
- Oversee weekly staff meetings
- Supervise IT infrastructure and maintenance
Midway Contemporary Art, Minneapolis, MN
Programming Manager 2013- 2015
- As a small nonprofit gallery and contemporary art research library, my responsibilities at Midway included the following: Artist Liaison, Registrar, Preparator, Sales, Archivist, Art fair coordinator (NADA 2013)
RO/LU, Minneapolis, MN
Design and Art Collaborative, 2012 – 2013
- Design and fabricate furniture and objects.
- Landscape architecture: Surveying, planning and execution.
- Organize web content and migrate to a new web host.
ANDREA ROSEN GALLERY, New York, NY
Director of Exhibitions and Operations 2008 – 2012
- Work with artists to facilitate the realization of artworks and special projects.
- Awareness of artists/artworks that could be used to place gallery artist’s work in interesting context, i.e. historical, conceptual, or aesthetic
- Manage multiple projects involving staff and vendors.
- Maintain building mechanics for proper temperature/humidity levels.
- Coordinate shipping, movement and condition inspections.
Exhibitions & Art Fairs
- Oversee all aspects of installation at Andrea Rosen Gallery.
- Delegated projects and tasks for teams of art handlers and registrarial assistants during installations.
- Work with Andrea Rosen and artists to determine placement of artworks for exhibitions.
- Maintain accurate records of special installation needs and instructions for artworks.
- Produce accurate and simple instructions for artworks of a complicated nature.
- Redesign and execute changes in facilities & mechanics to suit specific needs of exhibitions and artworks.
- Oversee and maintain reporting of condition records for artworks.
- Liaise with conservation labs on all restoration/conservation issues.
- Personally execute minor conservation projects on work when needed.
- Traveled internationally to organize and participate in several art fairs.
- Design Andrea Rosen Gallery art fair booths for maximum efficiency, workability and aesthetics.
- Collect and oversee execution of maintenance contracts.
- Designed climate control system with ability to independently focus on specific areas within the gallery.
- Liaise with contractors and architects when making significant changes to building
- Collect bids and hire contractors for fabrication, engineering, installation of artworks
- Liaised between architect, contractors, and Andrea Rosen for multi-million dollar expansion of gallery.
- Designed/built temporary offices, including exhibition space, to relocate gallery staff during Gallery expansion.
- Oversaw installation of several artworks requiring collaborative efforts of structural engineers, and architects
- Oversaw removal of gallery inventory due to a flooding caused by a hurricane in 2003
- Redesigned on-site storage at gallery
- Developed FileMaker based condition reporting module to intact with ArtBase
- Technical liaison for the Felix Gonzalez-Torres Foundation
- Developed Gallery 4 program for Andrea Rosen Gallery in which emerging artists were invited to install work, alter, or intervene in obscure areas of the gallery in the context of a show that does not follow the normal gallery program.
ANDREA ROSEN GALLERY, New York, NY
Head Preparator, 2002 – 2008
- Travel internationally for numerous art fairs: Art Basel, Art Basel Miami Beach, Frieze Art Fair
- Maintain accurate inventory of numerous works of art in multiple storage locations
- Worked with the Registrar to set up safe and timely shipping of artworks for exhibition and art fairs
- Hire and oversee freelance art handlers for installation and gallery projects
- Plan and oversee all installations and exhibitions
MOSS, New York, NY
Assistant Visual Director / Product Technician, 2000 – 2002
- Design and plan annual exhibitions to correspond with the International Contemporary Furniture Fair.
- Oversee daily setup and distortions exhibited design objects and Moss brand
- Maintain constant awareness of shifting inventory in order to curate small vignettes of design objects
- Serve as an open resource for clients regarding all technical issues.
INTREPID SEA, AIR, SPACE MUSEUM, New York, NY
Exhibition Designer, Carpenter 2000
- Research, develop and build exhibition material, cabinetry and signage for military history exhibits.
- Maintain, repair and restore the museum’s collection of models and historical objects
- Refurbished the world’s first modern submarine, the 14ft, Holland I, from 1873
- Refurbished the Museum’s collection of international military aircraft; F-15, F-18, SR71, MiG…
- Plan and implement a daily inspection, maintenance and cleaning regiment to be performed on object in long term exhibitions.
- Instrumental in implementing the process to catalog the museum’s collection of historical artifacts and ephemera.
Art Academy of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Sculpture Studio Technician, 1998 – 1999
- Maintain clean, organized shop facilities for the school’s sculpture department.
- Promote safe practices and monitor the use of equipment by students.
- Teach welding and woodworking.
- Participate in crits and offer guidance to students.
STUDIO VERTU, Cincinnati, OH
Creative Director, Production Engineer 1994 - 1999
- Instrumental in developing the industrial foundation of Studio Vertu by developing a heat transfer printing process for placing waterproof imagery on multiple substrates used for decorative tile/mosaic applications. A process for which I was instrumental in receiving a US Patent.
- Designed a mass production application of the printing process and managed factory production while operating as the chief creative officer of the company
- Interviewed, hired and trained teams of artisans to produce Studio Vertu product
- Oversaw design and prototyping of new products
PROJECTS & EXHIBITIONS
- Nathan Coutts, Solo show, Baby Grand, Detroit, MN, April 18 - May 18, 2015
- New Work, Two person show, Franconia Sculpture Center, Casket Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, Oct 17 - Nov 8, 2014
- Spectrum, Installation project, Co-organized with Keith Varadi at St Vincent de Paul Thrift Store, Minneapolis, MN, July 13 - Sept 1, 2014
- Visiting Artist, ACRE projects, Chicago, IL - ACRE Residency, rural WI, July 12-July 15, 2014
- Nemesis, Solo Show Tuck Under Projects, Minneapolis, MN, May 29 - June 22, 2014
- You Must Stand This While Reading There, Curatorial project, David Petersen Gallery, Minneapolis MN, Dec 14, 2013 - Feb 8, 2014
- Two Sheets, Eight Pages, Group exhibition, Possible Press, Brooklyn, NY
- Charlie Foos, Perfecting the Ego (A Retrospective), Curatorial project, Andrea Rosen Gallery, Gallery 4, New York
- Evidences: This Object of Desire, Group show, Curated by Chris Sharp, in Situ/Fabienne Leclerc, Paris
- Looking at Words, Group show, Andrea Rosen Gallery, New York, Nov 2 - Dec 31, 2005
- Ruairiadh O’Connell, Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain, Curatorial Project, Andrea Rosen Gallery, Gallery 4, New York, NY
- Chris Chiappa, Tile Flood, Curatorial Project, Andrea Rosen Gallery, Gallery 4, New York, NY
- In Full View, Group show, Andrea Rosen Gallery, New York, July 15 - Sept 13
1999 BFA, Art Academy of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
1994 – 1995 University of Akron, Studies in Sciences and Philosophy,
1990 – 1994 Art Academy of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH